Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Response to the past week!

OK! I know it has been a while since my last post. I have been having trouble coming up with a topic to write about. Isn't it still to early to have writers block? Well anyway... I have been thinking a lot lately about the topic for this post, and I hope that you can follow the rambling that are sure to follow.

So before I can start talking about the "mystery topic", first I have to tell you about the events that have led to this topic. For the past week I have been struggling with, or should I say, pondering God's divine nature. I have been in several different discussions over the last few days where someone has questioned the nature of God. Whether they are questioning his intentions in regard to Law that was given to the Hebrews, or questioning their freedom through "Christian Liberty". Either way both of these scenarios seem to question the Divine nature of God. Then as if I had not been bombarded enough with these thoughts, I was brought to question my own desires in relation to God. You see it is really easy to see the faults of others, and see how they are quick to stretch their liberty with the excuse of grace, or to question the ethical ramifications of actions based on a changing world climate, but how easy is it to place my own life judgement before the one and only Divine God.

So here it comes...

Tonight as I was doing some reading I decided to begin studying the book of Leviticus. Now many of you would ask "why Leviticus, were you trying to make yourself sleepy?" And yes I am aware of the nature of this book. It is full of minute details regarding sacrifice and levitical law, and at times can be read with the same enthusiasm as the genealogy's that we all love reading. However I was on a mission. After one of these discussions I mentioned earlier I was brought to question God's intention with a specific "rule" that many seem to think is outdated, and unjust. I figured I would search the levitical law and find out for myself the context of this rule and try to offer my friend a biblical grounded response to his question. In turn I was given some food for thought for myself, and still have not found an answer to my friends ethical questions.

So the mystery topic is this:

Just how perfect is perfection in the eyes of God?

Scripture tells us that the world was created in perfection, by the will of God who is perfect. Now as we all know, Genesis tells us that sin entered the world through Adam and Eve, as they went against the plan of God and became aware of Good and Evil. Now with that being said, it was no longer possible for man to have a walking, talking, communing, relationship with God, because sin placed a barrier between God and man. Now, this is where it gets interesting, at least in my mind. The only way that God could have the relationship with man that He desired, was for man to sacrifice unto God. In a way, the man was paying penance for his sin. This allowed him to be temporarily abolished of his sin, until the next sin. What I find interesting is this... Levitical was very clear on the procedures of offering sacrifice. The bull, goat, sheep or bird was to be perfect, without blemish, and then prepared very specifically and intentionally for sacrifice, then placed on the alter for burning in a very specific way, so specific in fact that portions of the animal were to be burned directly while others were to only be near the fire, and smoked. God did not sacrifice a single detail as He gave Moses the law. He expected things to be carried out in His manner, or they would not be carried out at all.

So, what does all this have to do with me. Well, as I continue to study, and reflect on these previous conversations, I am drawing a common theme. Man is sinful, when placed to his own devices he will almost always sin before choosing the will of God. Then it becomes a matter of the heart. Where is my heart in this matter, or that matter, or better yet what is the central focus of my heart. Do I seek the things of the Lord, or do I seek the desires of my flesh. You see as we continue on in life, it is very simple to live a life that is self serving, especially in today's humanistic society. However that is not what God designed us for. He designed us to have a walking, talking, communing relationship with Him, on this earth, in the present. I fail at allowing this each day, each moment of each day. He has given us the guidelines, but I know I fail to keep them. Often times I find myself thinking that the sacrifice does not have to be specific, because God knows whats on my heart, however He has shown me through the Levitical law, that specifics are just as important as the heart. A heart knowledge is good, but following that heart knowledge with action is what leads to perfection. You see, the sacrifice that Jesus paid on the cross would not have been worth anything if Jesus had not followed Gods will by going to the cross. His heart would have known God's will. He could have desired that all men be saved from the sins of their lives that lead to death. However, without following God's will in the specific action of dying on the cross, there would never have been the sacrifice.

So here is my question to myself, and I hope that you will reflect on it as well, then act on it. In what ways has God given you specific instruction that you have all heart felt desire of following, and yet there are no "feet" to your thoughts? Secondly, Is it good enough to want to be without sin? is that perfection? or is perfection produced through action?

I am sure that many, if not all of you will be lost through these ramblings, however, this post is just as much for me as it is for everyone else that may read it. It is my prayer that each one of us will choose to seek perfection in God, rather then a hum-drum life of adequacy. May my Christian walk be one that is productive, and not relying on Christian Liberty but instead seeking the face of God on a daily, moment by moment basis, that my heart may change, and in turn my actions be those of God.

Until Next Time:
Clear Skies, High Surf, and Sandy Feet!!!

1 comment:

  1. this is good stuff , and I totally followed the rambling :) thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete